Thursday 14 October 2010

If ever I'm gassed in the booth...

I'm absolutely in love with lyricism. My listening ranges from D Double E to Marilyn Manson. The Hip Hop song I remember from being a kid is Blood Money pt 3 by Capone n Noreaga, grime-wise the first thing I remember is probably Escobar or Kano.  I feel no shame in the fact that my flow was and probably still is influenced greatly by the latter two artist, why should I? Kano is one of the greatest to have done it, and Esco, even without a discography befitting to his talents is survived by posthumously by the knowledge amongst the scene that any day he couldv'e woken up and changed the game with a fresh EP or project. Furthermore, I own my flow (or lack there of lol), I do not emulate anyone with the bars I write, and I do not attempt to portray myself as anyone other than who I am.

Anyways! It seems I digress...

Lyrics are powerful, in any genre (I'll share some I like at some point) and many Identify with them in a very personal manner, whether the lyrics are constructed ambiguously or in a more focused manner. I have a problem with the fact that currently in grime (and other MOBO genres) there is seemingly an understanding of a visual and audio aesthetic that is to be maintained at all times. In Grime (as well as, but still more so than other MOBO genre's) this is painful, because ultimately everyone know's it's true individuality that shines through.

Only a cretinous listening public could forget flows like Royal's, lyrics like Trim's or microphone presence like Roach's or Marger's (if you don't know that Marger is coming to get you, then woi... lol some people are playing dress-up's, he like myself is playing leapfrog).
However the one thing that is so forgetable is the many fantasist's. I have no doubt to believe a man who says he has a gun, or has fired it. However, all the 'my Ak47!!! reh-teh-teh, kill another man, body count start looking terminator 4, DVD copy with deleted scenes, bang bang bang, gun empty, throw away gun, draw out other gun, bang bang bang, body everythiiiiing ' type MC's can piddle off and die.

I know some of these MC's personally (if the subliminal shot fits, wear it like a target) and it's a waste of time. Why be so apt at rhyming words or/and singing, producing, etc and show so little faith in your own personality, experience or creative that you'd invent exploits, fabricate activities and represent some caricature rather than just the real you?

Air for all that. Tomorrow i'm going studio for the first time in too long. I won't pussy foot around what I want to say and attempt to instead predict what you want me to say, my individuality is in the public domain to inspire your's.

Put the (fake) gun (talk) down, and think again, we have a responsibility on the mic!!

No comments:

Post a Comment