Thursday 13 January 2011

Are you...

on cheap drugs!?!?!

is a question I often find myself asking the world.

Today I feel like that qusetion must be asked of the writing team for Eastenders...

Like honestly, who comes up with these storylines???

It's a given that we want to be entertained and enthralled, that every cliffhanger should be meaningful, ideally the nation should hold there breath every time the 'Duff-Duff' theme at the end plays - leaving us ready to collectively exhale upon the start of the following episode.

I think we easily forgive the fact that it's an absolute 'stereotype orgy',
a place where the most permissable Black characters are not to be seen without a rum in their right hand,
a place where the muslim family is so 'haraam' that their residence might as well be made of Bacon


 and a representation of youth that not even spifftv.com could match for 'scumminess',

   I mean the last time I saw a group of teenagers or young men in the show they looked like they'd ordered their bandanas (in bulk) online.

But even by Eastenders' standard the most recent storyline is a little bit tongue through cheek...

I mean...
Dead baby swap yeah?!?! Whose bright idea was that? 
Who exactly was it that thought - 'this is what they have all been waiting for'??
A cot death storyline is enough, superimposing a baby theft or swap storyline involing probably the most loved couple currently in the show is overkill, that's not even a matter of opinion - it's a fact.

Mercifully the storyline has been visibly cut short.
I dunno what the next development is going to be but it's quite telling that the resolution was so abrupt, personally I can't remember another time when I've actually seen a show get so many people up in arms, and although I can't remember another storyline which had roadguys trying to reason with my television like
"Arrgh just llow it maan, give the girl her baby back, whats wrong with you lot???"...

That's not a good thing

Fact is we all like a good cliffhanger...
but not necessarily when there's also a dead baby dangling - so not cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment